Friday, October 26, 2012

Scrappy Halloween Finish

This is Scrappy Halloween.
 

Scrappy Stash Quilt Along at Ellison Lane Quilts.  There's still time, if you hurry.  Here's the tutorial.


In the spirit of scrappy stash, the back is made from fat quarters and left overs found in my stash.


Free-motion quilting by me.  I started with diagonal lines and stitch-in-the-ditch radiating out from the center with the intent of making one large, dense spider web.  But the farther I got from the center, the sloppier it got.  So I added some diagonals and straight lines to the outer sets of 4 blocks and made 9 spider webs instead.
 
This left space between the webs that I filled with hundreds of little spiders and their webby trails.


Finished Size: 49" x 49"

 
Binding: Timeless Treasures Charcoal Sketch
(Now, a word about this fabric.  I bought this upon the recommendation of some fellow bloggers.  Although the print is really fun and a great blender, the fabric quality is atrocious.  I was trying to make hexagons with it and you can feel the difference, not to mention the horrible amount of fraying because of the loose weave.  If you care about quality, do not buy this fabric.)

13 comments:

Carin said...

Very fun quilt! I love the wonky centers that stand out on some of the blocks, and your quilting is fabulous! Now I want to make a Halloween quilt just to try quilting spiderwebs and spiders. Thanks for the inspiration!

Angie said...

Love this quilt!! Your colors are wonderful and the back is as fun as the front...great job!

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

I love the quilting! Cute quilt all the way around.

Jenni said...

Love the colors and halloween theme! And the FMQ spiderwebs!

Jennie @ Porch Swing Quilts said...

Love it all - the colors, the quilting (oh my gosh, the quilting!). Awesome job. You should be proud of this.

Jenniffier said...

The quilt looks wonderful and the spider web quilting is a great added pop. Love that you used the scrappy stash quilt along with a theme set of colors. I keep wanting to join in but I don't like the idea of a rainbow.

Kati said...

So cute! I can't believe you did all that free motion quilting. It's really fantastic. What a fun little quilt!

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

This is my favorite entry from even the first time I saw it and now the quilting makes it even better!!! I just love it!

I only have my top done but hopefully I can quilt it in the next day.

Beth said...

cute quilt - love the quilting you did that looks fantastic.

SIMPLESEW said...

This Quilt looks Fun, great job. I have enjoyed the hop. The fabric your talking about, is it the binding fabric??

Melissa Loves Color said...

Wow! Your quilting is amazing! I just love the spiders and web!

Staci said...

This is so cute and clever! I love everything about it-- I can't get enough Halloween quilts. The quilting is just perfect, too!

Carla said...

Oh my gosh! What amazing quilting. Your whole quilt is wonderful.