Monday, January 10, 2011

Hexagons

Today, I wanted to work on this quilt, but Joe wanted to be held while he was sleeping.  On occasion, I accommodate him (we all know how fast babies grow up).  I keep a box of handwork near my chair for just such occasions.


These hexies are for some pillow covers.  I made one pillow cover and will be re-quilting it (insert evil, perfectionist laugh) before I show it off.  Here's the next set.


So today, I give you . . . "Tutorial From a Chair"

I cut a 5" charm pack into 4 - 2.5" squares.  No need to cut out hexagons.  I used the "hexagon cutting guide" on www.paperpieces.com to figure out what size of hexagon (as measured along one side) I needed to match my square.  I used this website to print 1" hexagons onto cardstock.  If you don't want to cut them out yourself, you can order them from Paper Pieces, but I wanted them right away.


I punch holes in each of my templates for easier removal later.  So here's how to create a hexagon . . . pin a paper template to the center of your square of fabric.  Use a short length of thread doubled over with the "fold" at the end . . . no need for knots, just take your first stitch and catch the loop.


Begin by folding over the first two edges, making sure that the folds are nice and snug against the template.  Take a little stitch over where the two flaps meet (this first one is where you just hook your thread through the loop).


On subsequent corners, fold over an edge, stitch and then stitch again in the same spot so the thread wraps all the way around the fabric. Continue around the hexagon, ending with another double stitch where you started.  No need to knot here either . . . these stitches are just holding it together until you can whip stitch them to another hexagon (we'll tackle that how-to another time).


Here's the finished product and below is what I accomplished "while Joe was sleeping".  Not bad for stitching while holding a baby.
 

Fabric is Fandango by Kate Spain for Moda Fabrics.  I kind of regretted chopping up those big, beautiful prints for such a tiny project, but I've savored the slow process of hand-piecing these gorgeous colors.

No comments: